Dear Calvary Parents,
It seems hard to believe that the school year is wrapping up in just over a week! We are so grateful for all the support our community has shown for each other and our teachers and staff throughout the year.
A reminder that our fun summer school sessions are still open for enrollment. If you are interested, but haven’t registered your child, please do so now:
- Session I – June 14 – July 9
- Session II – July 12 – July 30
Also, there are still a few openings available in the fall program. If you have friends who you think might be a great fit for our school have them reach out to Deb for more information.
Friday, May 28 (schedule changes for staff luncheon)
- The Hawks and Eagles will be on-site for school.
- Hawks, Eagles, and Sea Lions will have early dismissal at noon.
- Lower school will dismiss at their regular time.
- There is no AEP
Please keep reading for this month’s “Meet the Teachers” featuring the Sea Lion teaching team and the Calvary administrative staff.
Caroline & Carolyn
MEET THE TEACHERS & STAFF
Natalie Anaya – Sea Lion teacher
- Hometown: San Francisco (Mission District born and raised!)
- Best book you’ve read lately: On Earth We’re Briefly Gorgeous by Ocean Vuong
- Favorite San Francisco Restaurant: Nopalito
- Dream Vacation: Somewhere coastal in Latin America
- What do you enjoy most about working with preschoolers? There is so much transformation that happens in these years and I love being able to witness and participate in that. I also love how eager children are to learn at this age. Working with preschoolers brings a new lens to everything and a chance to slow down and learn alongside them.
Corrine Corn – Sea Lion teacher
- Hometown: Tiburon (Marin County)
- Best book you’ve read lately: American Dirt – by Jeanine Cummins
- Favorite San Francisco Restaurant: Outerlands. They have the best homemade bread & butter!!
- Dream Vacation: My dream vacation would be to Korcula Island, Croatia. I’ve always wanted to swim in the Adriatic Sea!
- What do you enjoy most about working with preschoolers? What I enjoy most about working with preschoolers is the joy and humor that they bring each day. There is never a dull moment with them, as they constantly fill the room with enthusiasm, love and spirit. I also love how eager they are to learn new things!
Kyra Katagi – Sea Lion teacher
- Hometown: I was born in San Francisco, but raised in Tokyo— since I’m connected to both cities, I consider both my hometown.
- Best book you’ve read lately: I’m constantly re-reading Marie Kondo’s The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up to remind me of my values and keep my life organized!
- Favorite San Francisco Restaurant: It was my mom’s favorite while she lived in the city, and now she’s passed it onto me: Greens!
- Dream Vacation: Either a fruit-filled Thailand trip, or Hawaii, where I can indulge in watersports.
- What do you enjoy most about working with preschoolers? Their authentic interactions and genuine curiosity. A simple “guess what” always seems to capture attention, and it’s magical how they learn at such a fast rate. It’s refreshing to see how kids grow, feel and react in such an honest way, and incredibly gratifying to help them make sense of the world around them.
Deb Anaya – Director
- Hometown: I was born in Salinas, California, in the beautiful central valley, Steinbeck country. My grandparents lived there until I was in college, but my family moved to the Bay Area when I was 4 and I was raised in Sunnyvale, before it was Silicon Valley, when it was full of cherry and apricot orchards.
- Best book you’ve read lately: I love historical fiction. My favorite all time book is “The Red Tent”, by Anita Diamant. It is a coming of age story set in biblical times and tells the story from a young woman’s perspective. Recently, I read another historical fiction book, also set in biblical times, about the wife of Jesus. It was called “The Book of Longings”, by Sue Monk Kid. It reminded me of “The Red Tent”.
- Favorite San Francisco Restaurant: My favorite restaurant is Greens in Fort Mason. It is a wonderful vegetarian restaurant with a beautiful view of the Bay. I have loved it for a long time and even had my bride’s maids’ lunch there 35 years ago!
- Dream Vacation: I would love to go to Bali! A tropical vacation sounds really good right now.
- What do you enjoy most about working with preschoolers? I love that everyday brings something new. Children are always open to new experiences and learning new things. It is exciting to see their eyes light up when they learn something new.
Gina McCarthy – Administrative Assistant
- Hometown: Sacramento, CA
- Best book you’ve read lately: The Chilbury Ladies’ Choir by Jennifer Ryan
- Favorite San Francisco Restaurant: Anywhere that I can get someone else to make fish for me, paired with a glass of wine.
- Dream Vacation: Lucca, Italy
Mariana Smith – Art Teacher
- Hometown: I was born and raised in San Francisco. I live a few blocks from the house my parents lived in when I was born. I’ve lived here most of my life and feel lucky to have raised my three daughters (all Calvary alumnae) here. Living in your hometown as an adult is so special. I
cherish all of my long time friends who are still a part of my life and the deep sense of
belonging I feel. I have helped “raise” 28 classes of Calvary children and I love running into
them around town. A few years ago I had the honor to teach my first 2nd generation student
here at Calvary.
- In my free time: I’m a working artist with a practice in oil painting and mixed media. I was
trained as a textile designer and have made many quilts during the pandemic. If you would like
to see my work please follow me on Instagram @marianamschwartz
- Favorite San Francisco Restaurant: I live in the Richmond district and I love our neighborhood family run restaurants. My boyfriend and I love to drive up the coast to Hog Island Oyster Company or Tony’s for oysters. Pre-pandemic we enjoyed an old school date night at Original Joe’s.
- Dream Vacation: I went to the Netherlands a few years ago during tulip season and I’d love to
go back and stay longer. My boyfriend and I go to Maui every year and it’s pretty dreamy. I’d
also love to go to a dark sky park in the desert to stargaze.
- What do you enjoy most about working with preschoolers? I honestly love preschoolers so much. They are so open and loving! Last week one little girl actually applauded for me when I came into her classroom! It’s hard to top that! I love getting to really know the children and forming authentic close relationships with them. It’s very gratifying.